If you are searching for travel x-ray tech jobs, you may be surprised by the opportunities you find.
The use of travel healthcare staffing has increased in recent years. According to a 2021 survey, 88% of medical groups, hospitals, and other healthcare facilities have used temporary staff in the past year, mainly to address workforce shortages. This includes not only doctors and nurses, but also diagnostic imaging professionals like x-ray technologists.
Driving factors for this trend include:
- The provider gap that occurs when employees take vacations, go on maternity leave, or resign
- Increasing demand for healthcare providers in underserved areas
- Healthcare facilities wanting to try offering new services, such as physiotherapy or diagnostic imaging, before committing to hiring someone full-time
Utilizing travel healthcare staffing meets these different needs while allowing facilities to operate at their full potential.
So what does this mean for you as an x-ray technologist? It means that if you’ve always wanted to see the rest of Canada or even work in countries like New Zealand, there are travel x-ray tech jobs out there for you.
What’s So Exciting About Travel X-Ray Tech Jobs?
There are a lot of reasons why x-ray technologists seek work through travel healthcare staffing agencies. Many people enjoy the excitement of traveling to new regions of the country, while others want to be flexible in their work schedules and live a more independent lifestyle. Whether you’ve only been practicing for a couple of years or you’re looking for rewarding pre or post-retirement opportunities, there is no better time than now to become a travel x-ray tech.
At ProMed HR Solutions, we welcome inquiries and applications from all of the following:
- New X-Ray Techs: We welcome applications from those with at least two years of experience. Travel positions allow you to experience different practice settings and locations so you can determine where you want to focus your career. By saving money on accommodation, you can also pay off any student loan balances sooner.
- Those With an Established Career: If you’ve been an x-ray tech for years and are contemplating a change in location, you may find that working on contracts that let you try out different work environments can help you decide what you want to do next.
- Those Close to Retirement: Many healthcare professionals explore travel positions when they aren’t quite ready to retire. Upon retiring, they may take a short break, then enjoy a series of travel x-ray tech jobs that appeal to them.
Diagnostic imaging professionals are in high demand, allowing you to make a difference in the community as well as in your career. Every contract presents a new opportunity for professional growth.
Is Being a Travel X-Ray Tech Right for You?
If you’re spending a lot of time at your current job dealing with administrative hassles and stress, it might be time to consider a career switch. Demand for healthcare services continues to rise, and you really can enjoy a rewarding career that allows you to move from place to place, meeting new people, acquiring new skills, and seeing places that you might not otherwise have visited.
You could spend two weeks in the diagnostic imaging department of a hospital in Gander, Newfoundland, before starting another short term or longer assignment in Fort McMurray, Alberta. During your time off, you can visit local attractions, sample the regional cuisine, and even make lifelong friends.
Travel x-ray tech jobs give you more flexibility and freedom because you can choose when, where, and how much you work. It results in a more balanced life, a steady income that you can scale up or down based on how much work you want to do, and a fulfilling career that is more about helping patients than dealing with facility politics.
How Do You Identify the Ideal Opportunity?
You can love your life as a travel healthcare professional by identifying your needs and goals first. Ask yourself the following questions:
- How frequently do I want to travel?
- How far am I willing to go? Do I prefer to stay within my province or is any opportunity welcomed?
- What is my preferred shift length?
- How long do I want to be away? Six months? A year?
Making the transition from traditional employee to travel x-ray tech is the most rewarding when you identify the best opportunities for you. You can try out a few situations first-hand before making a longer-term commitment.
How Does Credentialing Work?
As an x-ray tech in Canada, you received your credentials by writing and passing a national exam with the Canadian Association of Medical Radiation Technologists (CAMRT). By meeting the credentialing and competency standards set by the CAMRT, you can take travel x-ray tech jobs at any facility in Canada. Some provinces may require additional certifications which ProMed would be happy to assist you in achieving.
If you wish to explore ProMed’s opportunities in New Zealand, the process is different. The MRT Board of New Zealand is the registration/certification body for all Medical Imaging Technicians (MITs) in the country. Each x-ray technologist is assessed on an individual basis, and certification can be achieved through either straight transferability based on existing education or experience, or by combining supervised hours with a national certification exam. The team at ProMed HR Solutions can answer your questions about eligibility for travel x-ray tech jobs in New Zealand.
Why Explore Travel X-Ray Tech Jobs With ProMed?
At ProMed HR Solutions, we provide you with opportunities that let you choose your own schedule. As a travel x-ray tech, you decide what hours you prefer to work and we make every possible effort to enable the schedule that gives you the work-life balance you’re looking for.
When you sign up for opportunities with ProMed, we will work directly with you to ensure you are satisfied with your location, shifts, and accommodation arrangements. If you want to pick up another assignment after the current contract ends or even work in a certain region, we do our best to make those requests a reality. To learn more about available travel x-ray tech jobs, email our HR Manager at email@example.com or call 1-833-776-6336.